I am someone who has always loved a good homemade soup! This recipe was first introduced to me about 14 years ago when our good family friends moved from California to Virginia. My mom hosted a huge going away party for them, and asked that each family submit their favorite recipe to compile into a cookbook for our friends who were moving. One family submitted this recipe and as I have gotten older, it has become a staple for my family during the winter months. I hope that you enjoy it!
Recipe Serves 4.
1 small sweet onion
1.5 cups organic chicken broth
1 packet original taco seasonings
2 oven roasted chicken breasts
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 packet shredded cheddar cheese for topping
1. Dice onion and caramelize on medium heat in a frying pan. Add 2 tbsp. canola oil.
2. Shred chicken breasts and set to the side.
3. In separate pot, combine beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, taco seasoning, onions and shredded chicken. Stir ingredients. (Use chicken broth instead of water with taco seasoning)
4. Add oregano, salt and pepper to soup.
5. Let simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
6. Dish into bowls and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.