One of my favorite desserts, no matter the temperature outside, is ice cream! When I was a little girl, my dad and I would sit out on our front porch after he got home from work and eat ice cream together. It was kind of our little tradition that was special for the two of us.
When I got older, I discovered the art of making my own ice cream. If you have never made ice cream from scratch before, then you are seriously missing out! I don’t know what it is, but the flavors are so much richer and it just tastes better… if that is even possible.
So, I decided to share my favorite recipe for making classic mint chocolate chip ice cream with all of you. It doesn’t matter if it is the middle of summer, or the dead of winter, ice cream will always be a good idea. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Serves 8)
2 cups nonfat milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
4 drops of green food coloring (optional)
1.5 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
8 Sugar or Waffle ice cream cones (optional)
1. In a large bowl, stir together the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and peppermint extract until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Color to your liking with the green food coloring. Stir until mixture is evenly colored.
3. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
4. When you have about half of the time left on your ice cream maker, add chocolate chips.
5. After the ice cream has thickened, spoon into a container and freeze for at least 3 hours.
6. Scoop ice cream into a cone.
What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?